Sunday, November 2, 2008

Autumnal Rambles

Fall always reminds me of school. Reading, studying, learning, taking walks with 90 pound book bags around campus and drinking cheap powdered vanilla cappuccino. Every fall since I have been out of school I've done the same thing - read. I remember last year I discovered Good Reads and started a bookshelf so I would start reading again. It was lovely while it lasted, but then work and other responsibilities set in and I stopped making time for my books. Winter weather and the holidays came and my books started getting lonely without me, and I think by the spring they completely forgot that we were once friends. This year I am trying to make it stick. I have a built up urge to read more than ever before. When I am reading I feel productive, and even though I'm not getting anything done in the physical sense, words inspire me. When I read I feel like I can let everything else in my life go and just be in the moment. I think it actually helps me loosen up my mind - so therefore reading must be a step in my creative process. 

Anyway, I'm reading a lot of books right now. Thats how I like it. I always read more than one book at a time - I think I just get ADD about it. I've renewed my library card and made a little more use of it than usual. I also feel like a good citizen when I go to the library. I shouldn't, since all I am doing is taking advantage of the public gift, and not doing anything to help the library or make it better. That's why I always return my books late because I know they need the money. Sort of. 

In other news, I've been cooking slightly healthier recently. I'm trying to eat a half of a grapefruit everyday for breakfast and eat some kind of raw vegetable for lunch. I only ate out twice last week, and I rode my bike once so one of the eat-out-meals doesn't really count. Today I will probably make an acorn squash! 

I think I will start a new big painting today and see what happens. I will be off Monday and most of Tuesday for the school holiday, so I need to start getting productive now and take advantage of this extra hour of sleep that I got last night.

I hope all of you know who you are going to vote for by now. If you don't, you disappoint me. 
 

No comments: